One of the biggest drags about eight years under Obama was the oppressive cloud of negativity we had to schlep through. Very little was done in Washington to make our lives better.
In fact, our lives were generally made worse via an overreaching federal bureaucracy micromanaging what bathrooms people should use…
I am hoping for more optimism and positive results from our new president. President Trump, Speaker Ryan and Majority Leader McConnell have a rare opportunity for unity: work with their party and the opposition on passing the Respect State Marijuana Laws Act of 2017 (H. R. 975).
The act is very simple:
Part G of the Controlled Substances Act (21 U.S.C. 801 et seq.) is amended by adding at the end the following:
“SEC. 710. Rule regarding application to marihuana.
“Notwithstanding any other provision of law, the provisions of this subchapter related to marihuana shall not apply to any person acting in compliance with State laws relating to the production, possession, distribution, dispensation, administration, or delivery of marihuana.”.
Most libertarians, many conservatives and most liberals will support H. R. 975:
- Demonstrates to America that our new government can work together on commonalities.
- Respects Tenth Amendment (Federalism – “federal government possesses only those powers delegated to it by the United States Constitution. All remaining powers are reserved for the states of the people.”).
- Saves resources of federal, state and local governments.
- Prevents citizens from states that have legalized marijuana from facing criminal prosecution by the federal government.
- The act does not prevent the feds from stopping the flow of marijuana from other countries (although there arguably will be less demand with more and more states legalizing).
People of good will in each state (the laboratories of democracy) can debate whether or not they wish to legalize. In fact, we have been having such debates and legalization is winning.
Perhaps it is time for Congress to formalize the reality we already live under?